County of Broward Recreational Park, Lauderhill, Florida, USA
A circular, multipurpose, lighted field, 560 feet in diameter, with 5,000 covered seats and additional seating for 15,000 spectators possible. The venue may be used for concerts and sporting events or other special events. The field is capable of hosting a variety of local, national, and international sports championship games and will contain four turf pitches.
The first floor includes the park lobby with receptionist/facility reservation area, elevator, team locker rooms, restrooms, concession area, and main event field viewing room that may also be rented for parties or other social occasions. Second floor includes park and district management offices, concession warming area, and scoreboard operations centre.
The Maple Leaf Cricket Club, King City, Ontario, Canada
This ground was established in 1954 and boasts a turf-wicket cricket facility and in 2006 became the second-ground to be approved ODI status by the ICC.
The venue has already hosted a number of tournaments including the ICC Trophy 2001, the ICC Intercontinental Cup 2006, the Quadrangular Twenty20 series in 2008 and the ICC Americas Championship.
Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club, Toronto , Canada
On Monday June 18, 1956, all eyes were on a 25-cent coin as it was tossed in the air to determine whether the word ‘Cricket’ or ‘Skating’ would come first in the name of a proposed new Club. On that historic evening, J.L. Bonus, second vice-president of the Toronto Cricket Club, tossed the coin. F.J. Boland, president of the Toronto Skating Club, called “heads” but lost the toss and the newly amalgamated club became known as ‘The Toronto Cricket and Skating Club’.
The coin used in the toss is now in the Club’s archives, still carefully taped to a yellowing piece of paper on which is typed the account of its historic role.
Present at that coin toss were Mr. Robert T. Suckling and Mr. James A. McKechnie. Both went on to be presidents of the newly amalgamated Club.
This merger presented both memberships with significant benefits. The Toronto Cricket Club had struggled financially since the 1930s; the Toronto Skating Club had outgrown its premises on Dupont Street. Both operated on a seasonal basis. By joining forces, the new club could remain open year-round, avoiding staff lay-offs and offering members an expanded repertoire of sporting and socializing opportunities.
But after months of negotiations and careful planning by both Clubs for the new club house and facilities at the present site, another proposal came forward. The Toronto - Victoria Curling and Bowling Club was looking for a new facility after the Club’s property was expropriated by the expanding University of Toronto.
Happily, it found a new home when on April 10, 1957, the membership of the two newly amalgamated clubs voted unanimously to further the recent merger with this third club and call the new entity ‘The Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club’.
In 1958, the Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club opened its new clubhouse and expanded outdoor facilities on the Armour Heights grounds. The venue offered more than its name suggested, with tennis, lawn bowling and squash available to some 2,000 members.
Amalgamation was a bold step. With its success, a proud tradition of sporting excellence was not only maintained, it thrived. The Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club hosted such prestigious international events as the North American Skating Championships, The Davis Cup and the Sahara Cup.
In the 50 years since amalgamation, the Club’s membership has nearly doubled, and the regulations and facilities have evolved to meet the changing tastes of each generation.